Virtual Open Access Week - October 2020
The NWU Library and Information Service present the following programme to celebrate International Open Access Week.
Programme for the week: 19 - 25 October 2020
Monday 19 October 2020
|10:00 - 10:15||Welcome and opening remarks - Dr. Mathew Moyo: Chief Director Library and Information Services|
|10:15 - 10:45||Opening address - Director: Institutional Office of Research Support|
|10:45 - 12:15||Mark Hanhel: CEO and founder of figshare: Get credit for all of your research!
Nabil Ksibi: ORCID - Engagement Lead: ORCID integration at NWU
Dr. Mzuyanda Christian - FNAS: Openness for publication: choose wisely and avoid predatory publishers
|12:15 - 12:30||
|12:30 - 12:45||Vote of thanks - Hendra Pretorius: Director Client Services|
Thursday 22 October 2020
|14:00 - 14:15||Welcome - Dr. Mathew Moyo: Chief Director Library and Information Services|
|14:15 - 15:00||Dr. Ruth Aluko - Unit of Distance Education (UP): Being purposeful in structuring equity and inclusion|
|15:00 - 15:30||
Alrike Claassen - NWU CTL Curriculum Design: Five steps to using and remixing OER
|15:30 - 15:45||Questions & Vote of thanks - Hendra Pretorius: Director Client Services|
Friday 23 October 2020
|10:00 - 10:15||Welcome - Dr Mathew Moyo: Chief Director Library and Information Services|
|10:15 - 10:45||Speaker 1|
|10:45 - 11:15||Speaker 2|
|11:15 - 11:30||Questions and Vote of Thanks|
|11:30 - 13:00||Workshop: NWU Open Access Policy|
NWU Library Initiatives
- Hosts and maintains the Open Access Institutional repository, Boloka, which collects, preserves, and distributes NWU research material at no cost to the user.
- Boloka (NWU-IR) is the primary storage of all NWU Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD's).
- Boloka (NWU-IR) hosts Open Access journals and it subscribes to databases that host OA journals.
- There are dedicated Librarians to assist researchers with uploading their outputs to Boloka.
- Provides a search platform for finding Open Access accredited journals.
- Open Access at the NWU
- Open Access Week