Interlibrary Loans (ILL) provides a service to postgraduate students and researchers by obtaining material not owned by the North-West University Libraries. The Library provides documents to other national and international libraries through a nationwide interlibrary loan network.
(Please click on your campus to ensure your materials are sent to the correct library. Have a look at this manual on how to submit an Interlibrary loans request or contact your faculty librarian for help.)
Who can apply for interlibrary loans?
The service is available to registered fourth year, honours, masters and doctoral students as well as staff of the North-West University.
Where is the interlibrary loans desk?
Mafikeng: This section is situated in the foyer of the Library.
Potchefstroom: This section is situated in the foyer of the Ferdinand Postma Library.
Vanderbijlpark: This section is situated on the ground floor of the Library next to the course reserve desk.
Books can be collected and returned to the libraries' interlending desk. Outside office hours you may collect and return materials from the respective libraries' lending desk.
Mafikeng: Monday - Thursday: 08:30 - 16:30
Potchefstroom: Monday - Friday: 07:30 - 16:30
Vanderbijlpark: Monday - Friday: 07:30 - 16:30
Mafikeng contact details
Contact person: Papula Baas
Tel.: +27 (0)18 389 2419
Fax: +27 (0)18 389 2114
Interlibrary Loans Services
Private Bag X2104
Address for courier: NWU Mahikeng, Library (Building A-7), Corner of Dr Albert Luthuli and University Drive, MMABATHO [Campus map]
Potchefstroom contact details
Helah van der Waldt (Requests material from universities)
Seka Sizani (Supplies material to universities)
Email address: email@example.com
Tel.: +27 (0)18 299 2793
Fax: +27 (0)18 299 2999
Interlibrary Loans Services
Ferdinand Postma Library
Private Bag X05
Address for courier: NWU Potchefstroom, Ferdinand Postma Library (Building E7, Hoffman Street 11, Potchefstroom [Campus map]
Vanderbijlpark contact details
Contact person: Dennis Mabena
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel.: +27 (0)16 910 3044
Fax: +27 (0)16 910 3171
Library, Building - 13
P.O. Box 1174
Address for courier: NWU Vanderbijlpark, Library (Building 13), Hendrik van Eck Blvd, Vanderbijlpark [Campus map]
How to submit an interlibrary loans request
- Requests for material are made electronically via OCLC. Please click on your campus to ensure your materials are sent to the correct library.
- For assistance ask your faculty librarian
- General ILL inquiries can be send to email@example.com (Mafikeng), firstname.lastname@example.org (Potchefstroom) or email@example.com (Vanderbijlpark).
Please note: Requests will not be processed if you have any outstanding fines.
Bibliographic information needed for an interlibrary loans request
Books: author / title / edition / year / ISBN (if available)
Journal articles: journal title / year / volume / part / pagination / author and title of article / ISSN (if available)
Theses and dissertations: author / title / date / university where completed
How long will delivery take?
Books: ± 3 weeks
Articles: ± 3 -10 days
Delays may occur due to factors beyond the control of the staff, such as books out on loan or journals that may be in the bindery or circulating at branch libraries.
Notification of arrivals of books and articles
- Articles will be sent to the users email address.
- Users residing in Mahikeng, Potchefstroom or Vanderbijlpark will receive a notice to collect the book from the ILL desk.
- The books of users not residing in Mahikeng or Vanderbijlpark will be mailed to them upon request. It remains the responsibility of the user to return the books to the Library either personally or via post/courier.
- Postal services to users are temporary on hold.
- Users not residing in Potchefstroom should make their own arrangements to collect their ILL books personally or via courier.
- It remains the responsibility of the user to return the books to the Library either personally or via courier.
Loan period of books
Loan periods are determined by the supplying library.
- The loan period of national books are ± 3 - 8 weeks.
- No international books are requested.
- Return books on time and ensure you are aware of the due date in the book.
- Each book will be issued with a book strap.
- The due date will appear on the book strap. It is the responsibility of the user to return the ILL book on time when due.
- Please do not remove the book strap before you return the ILL book to the Library. You may move it to the back of the ILL book while using it.
- The strap helps you and the ILL section to identify the book as an ILL book when it is returned to the Library.
- Overdue fees: Overdue fees will be R10.00 per book per day.
- Some libraries grant no renewals, but some allow for ONE renewal.
- Please provide the Request ID on the book strap (at all times) when you renew your book(s), or when you make an enquiry by telephone or email
- Provide the original due date (Patron due date) on the book strap for a renewal.
Costs involved for interlending services
- National: As far as possible, no charges are attached to articles and books
- International: An effort is made to acquire electronic copies of articles available for free. If not possible, the cost of an article is approximately $15 - $35, depending on the length of the text. The cost will be communicated beforehand and will appear on the user's account. No international books are requested.