Open Access Publishing
Before selecting a journal for publication of an article
- distinguish between full and hybrid open-access journals.
- check if the journal complies with the funder's requirements on Sherpa/Juliet, Sherpa/Fact.
- read the publisher’s and journal Open Access policies on Sherpa/Romeo.
- search for accredited journals.
- beware of questionable/predatory open access journals.
- ask your faculty librarian for assistance if you are uncertain about a journal's credibility.
Authors may alter the copyright agreement with the publisher
- the right to reproduce or distribute the article for any use relating to educational, or any other form of non-commercial use.
- to authorise others to use the article for non-commercial use.
- to distribute the article for course work, or in any other digital open access platform.
- to deposit post-print/pre-print to Boloka (Read relevant funder's, publisher's and journal Open Access policies).
- SPARC Author Addendum - a legal instrument that modifies the publisher's agreement and allows you to keep key rights to your article.
- Creative commons - apply for a creative commons licence to share information online.
- Sherpa/Romeo publisher's copyright polices & self-archiving
- Open Access publishers: BioMed Central, AOSIS, etc.
Open access content
Read more about the new Open Access Browser Button - the Button will search for available Open Access material.
- Accredited list of Open Access journals
- NWU Library homepage: A-Z databases flagged with OA logo
Boloka: Institutional Repository
Boloka (NWU-IR) is the primary storage of all NWU Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD's)
- DaYta Ya Rona: NWU Research Repository (figshare)
- NWU digital theses and dissertations
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ
- Directory of Open Access Books (BOAB)
- Open Education Resources Africa
- Technology and software
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations